Thursday, September 1, 2011

Football RULES- Why didn't anyone ever tell me?

I grew up hating football. I thought it was totally dumb and decided that sitting in the kitchen talking with my mom was totally more fun than watching it on t.v. I have 2 sisters- and they didn't get that memo. Every weekend, my sisters, dad, grandparents, aunts, you name a family member all gathered to watch games. I refused! (Silly, silly me).  I didn't understand what was so interesting about watching guys run around in helmets and shoulder pads- I preferred where I could see the guys- like baseball. I do like sports; grew up playing soccer and really do love baseball- but football- I wanted NOTHING to do with.

Fast forward to age 25. I meet and fell in love with a die-hard TCU fan. I will tell you- I almost broke the guys heart by not attending one game while we were dating. I didn't like the sport and thought that was something that he could do on his "own time".  I had no interest in learning about what quarterbacks, tight ends, and running backs did. I didn't know why they were so big and bulky and just ran into each other. Still, was not interested.

But, he proposed, and life changed. He wanted me to go to games- to learn his passion, and maybe, just maybe- pick up some passion of my own.  So, I did.
Tailgating!

 And the passion actually started with the party. DUH! I love a party, I love being outside, and I love beer. (Lots of GREAT beer blog content to come this season)  Wouldn't it be a natural for me to love football? Isn't that what Football is all about? :)

However, week by week, I grew to love the game. I am totally competitive by nature and got into the teams and the plays and started caring about the players.

Fiesta Bowl

I also got lucky that the football Gods knew it would just take a trip to Fiesta Bowl and Rose Bowl to send me over the edge to a true and passionate fan.

Rose Bowl
So, on the eve of football season- I think to myself- Football Rules. Why, oh why did it take me this long to figure out?!!?










No comments:

Post a Comment