Saturday, August 23, 2014

Seasons of Love

Before John, these were my seasons, Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall. The way that I knew the seasons was by the outfits that I wore and the places that I traveled. We skied in the winter, we went to the lake in the summer. Clothes were just as easy- I bought sweaters and boots in the fall and shorts and dresses in the spring. That is how the calendar year went round for me.

After marrying John, I realized our seasons would never be that simple- yes, some trips and clothes would still help determine what season was coming up- but now- we go by HIS seasons. If you haven't read any of my other posts- I have a theme I live by- "if you can't beat em, join em" and that is exactly what I have done- and I have to admit- its been pretty fun.

So as we are approaching my husband's favorite season, I am reminded of how we view the seasons of our life.

Football Season- this is the Mecca season. This is the season of all seasons. This is where there is something entertaining to watch Monday night, Thursday night, and all day Saturday and Sunday. This season encourages drinking cold beer as early as noon- or even earlier when tailgating. This season encourages "man talk and man code". Men get to have long, very long, conversations about plays and uniforms and officials calling bad calls. This season requires sitting on the couch and getting served snacks. No wonder he loves this season so much.



Holiday Season- this Season lasts from Thanksgiving to Christmas Day. This is when we spend 5 weeks decorating and enjoying traditions we have created through the years of marriage, adding one each year. We look at Christmas lights, bake Christmas cookies, watch special Christmas movies.




Bowl Season- Yes, even though this only lasts about 1 1/2 weeks- it is a season- at least in our house. We watch EVERY possible bowl game. Yep, every last one of them. By this point- I'm totally over football- but to John this is a little slice of heaven. I'm just thankful its a short season.



March Maddness Season- Next, we start to watch basketball, college basketball. We gotta scope out the teams for a favorite time of year- March Maddness. We love the betting, the brackets, the heart the boys put into the games. Basketball isn't my favorite- but the brackets I love.



Golf Season- Since my husband grew up golfing, this is totally a season. It's really a year round sport but we only participate in the viewing portion during the big 4 tournaments. Luckily for John, this occurs when there are no other overlapping seasons. Splendid. So, we watch at least 2 days of the tournaments throughout the hot summer- cheering on favorites, rooting for underdogs.



Waiting for Football Season- the last season. This one seems to take the longest because it is the dog days of summer. Those last few weeks when you are waiting for fall, there's nothing on tv, its super hot, and its just plain boring. But, this is also the season where we prepare. We watch football movie after football movie- tugging at our heart strings- preparing us for the magic.




As a young woman who despised sports, you know now that I am easily influenced by the people I love. Oh, and it doesn't hurt that cold beer goes well with all seasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment